I have recently been creating a presentation encompassing business research for my fellow students. This presentation is about the research needed to firmly step out of the cloistered (corridor) world of further education with purpose. No sooner had I begun than there was a spinning in the phone box. A fully formed, if a little over the top, Rant was born.
THE SELF HELP BUSINESS BOOK RANT
- Self help is a misnomer because they don't!
- They use exclamation marks when expounding the blindingly obvious!
- They equate bullet points with relevance.
- Including cool sounding acronyms or mnemonics is mandatory.
- Including high minded quotes to inspire the punters is mandatory.
- Business systems proliferate, but all must have a surname in their titles to suggest guru status.
- Examples included to illustrate success must be taken from personal experience.
- Examples included to illustrate failure must be taken from the experience of a rival.
- Books on business are a business, and the only successful entrepreneurs are publishers, authors, motivators or lecturers.
- Really successful entrepreneurs have not got time to write books. The exceptions are those who have appeared on "Dragons Den", and have grown tired of humiliating their own staff.
- Authors while advocating a do-it-yourself self reliance, write books which are highly prescriptive, and perpetuate a dependency on their books.
Here endeth the rant